Want to win prizes for doing fun things on your summer vacation?
Here’s what you have to do:
Starting June 1*, go to your local library and pick up a Teen Summer Contest kit and register. Then, start earning tickets that will go into drawings for prizes. The more tickets you earn, the better your chances are of winning something!
- A calendar to keep track of how much time you spend reading
- A booklist to get you started
- A fun origami game
There are a number of different ways to earn tickets:
Read! Every 2 hours you read = 1 ticket. And don’t limit your reading to books; try magazines, newspapers, blogs, fan fiction, whatever.
Go! Have fun at a library event. See what your library has planned for you this summer. 1 event = 1 ticket
Write! Compose book reviews or blog posts for the library’s teen blog, Flip the Switch: Teens Awake. Take a look at the blog and see what kinds of posts others have written. Send your reviews and blog posts to email@example.com. Don’t forget to include your name, age, and which library branch you go to most often. 1 entry = 1 ticket
Talk! Ask your local librarian for more ways to earn tickets at your local library!
Of course you want to know what you’re competing for, right? Prizes include:
- Books! Some are autographed by the author!
- Coupons to local eateries such as Chick-Fil-A and Goodberry’s
- Art supplies from Jerry’s Artarama
- Flash drives
- Tickets to see the Carolina Rollergirls
- Games, keychains, bookmarks, buttons and random trinkets
- Check with your library branch for other prizes they may have for the prize pack
- The contest is open to Wake County teens ages 12-18. If you are under 12, check out our kids’ summer reading program.
- Register for the contest at your local library branch.
- Once you’re ready, get tickets at the library. Fill it out there and give it to a staff member.
- There is no limit on the number of tickets you can earn.
- Each library may be doing their prize drawings at different times of the summer. Check with your local library to see when they will be doing theirs.
*Most library branches are starting their contest on June 1, but call your branch for exact contest dates.