Ah, the season of flowers, fresh greens, baby bunnies, and bright colors! Most teenagers (including me) typically think of spring as the season of allergies and the time of year right before summer (huzzah!)
Spring welcomes in many great vegetables and fruits that anyone can use in their dishes. Even teens! Lemon, parsley, spinach, and strawberries are extraordinary at this time of year. With these fresh ingredients and a few others, any teenager can make a delicious light pasta dish and yummy springtime smoothie.
I was inspired to create this dish and dessert after reading The Pasta Bible by Jeni Wright. I recommend this cookbook to any pasta aficionado out there!
Here are my recipes that anyone can use! There really is no need to measure ingredients, but I’ve included a “guesstimation” of measurements. Also, they’re teenager-friendly (meaning you can make these without a stove or oven if you so desire to). The microwave friendly ingredients and instructions will be italicized.
Light Garlic Oil Pasta (prep. time 10 – 20 minutes)
Yields about 4 servings
You will need:
A stove and pan (or microwave)
A bowl and fork (duh)
4 oz. of cooked pasta (any kind, but I prefer fusilli and bow ties!)
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp minced garlic (1/4 tsp garlic powder)
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp fresh chopped parsley
1/2 tsp dried basil
dash of salt & pepper
Your desired amount of Italian cheese (I suggest Mozerella or Parmesan)
optional ingredients: a handful of grilled shrimp and/or chopped spinach will certainly make this a good meal for supper!
1) In a medium-large skillet, heat the olive oil at medium-high heat and fry the garlic until fully cooked.
2) Add the pasta and other ingredients. Toss the pasta gently.
3) Sprinkle on some Mozzarella or Parmesan cheese and enjoy!
Throw all the ingredients in big bowl, microwave for a minute on high. Add a sprinkle of cheese and enjoy!
It’s that simple! A light, simple pasta perfect for spring! And now for dessert, a strawberry smoothie.
Strawberries (and a banana) Smoothie (prep. time 5 minutes)
Yields 3-4 cups
You will need:
1 carton of strawberries, washed (and their little green parts are trimmed off)
1 small-medium ripe banana, peeled
1 tsp. of sugar
You may add a cup of ice cubes or milk if you prefer your drink to be more liquidy, but I like to keep it thick and pour it over ice cream for dessert.
1) At this time, put the ice or milk in your blender FIRST if you choose to have an icy or milky drink. If you don’t choose to include milk or ice, it doesn’t matter which ingredients you put in first, just put the fruits and sugar in.
2) Blend on medium speed until the fruits are at a smooth consistency.
3) Pour in a glass or over a bowl of ice cream and enjoy!
There you have it! A great beverage and a delicious light pasta just for you. Your mother would be so proud.